Monday, October 13, 2008

Cooper to Bradley: Thanks, but no thanks

Dallas forward (and my new hero) Kenny Cooper declined an invitation to play in a meaningless qualifier against Trinidad & Tobago this Wedesday, saying:

"I feel so fortunate and honored to have been invited to join up with the U.S. Men's National team in Trinidad and Tobago. I made the difficult decision not to report because I had picked up a virus and have been playing with a sprained ankle. Considering the importance of my club's game versus Real Salt Lake this week, and that the National Team has already clinched a berth in the next round of qualifying, I felt it was the right thing to do to stay in Dallas and make sure I get well, and hopefully there will be other opportunities down the line."

Let me translate into realspeak:

Look, douchebag. You don't call me up through all the important qualifiers, even though I'm tearing up defenses in MLS, getting calls daily from European clubs and attracting all kinds of tail, even though I look like Boris Karloff. Now you invite me to the dance after we've already qualified for the next round and the best I can hope for is some Carribean crapfactory doesn't cut me down and tear up my sore ankle. Thanks, but no thanks, Sadley. Frankencoop out.

So, here's who did agree to come out:

Goalkeepers: Troy Perkins, Brad Guzan.

Defenders: Jonathan Bornstein, Danny Califf, Frankie Hejduk, Michael Orozco, Heath Pearce, Marvell Wynne.

Midfielders: Freddy Adu, DaMarcus Beasley, Maurice Edu, Sacha Kljestan, Pablo Mastroeni, Danny Szetela, Jose Francisco Torres.

Forwards: Jozy Altidore, Charlie Davies, Robbie Rogers.

0 comments:

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template