Monday, July 14, 2008

Chase chooses God over soccer

Here's interesting story by the Associated Press on former New England Revolution player Chase Hilgenbrinck, 26, who retired from Major League Soccer to enter a seminary to become a Roman Catholic priest.

“It’s not that I’m ready to leave soccer. I still have a great passion for the game,” he said in a telephone interview. “I wouldn’t leave the game for just any other job. I’m moving on for the Lord. I want to do the will of the Lord, I want to do what he wants for me, not what I want to do for myself.”

Hilgenbrinck played college soccer at Clemson University and then played for three years in Chile before returning to the United States and joining the Colorado Rapids eariler this year. After he was waived during preseason, New England picked him up. He made four appearances (once as a starter) for the Revolution.

Here's an old interview with Hilgenbrinck from Gol TV about playing professionally in Chile:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ridiculous.

I'de be interested to see if the Lord would be just as important had he performed better.

Crutch.

The Yankee Hooligan said...

Ouch!

Template by - Abdul Munir | Daya Earth Blogger Template